Members of national minorities are guaranteed the right to education in their language and script as defined by the Constitution of the Republic of Croatia, constitutional law on the rights of national minorities and the law on education in the language and script of national minorities.
Members of national minorities have the opportunity to education in their mother tongue at all levels of education, from pre-school to post secondary education.
Languages used in class can be categorized into two groups, so-called territorial or minority languages and non-territorial, in line with the European charter on regional or minority languages, as regards the decision to ratify the law confirming the European charter on regional or minority languages.
Members of national minorities can effectuate their constitutional right to education in their mother tongue and script via three basic models and specialized educational framework.
- MODEL A - classes in the language and script of the national minority
- MODEL B - bilingual classes
- MODEL C - nurturing language and culture
- Class framework in which the language of the national minority is taught as the language of the social environment
- Special classes: summer school, winter classes, correspondence-consultative classes
- Special programs for the inclusion of Roma students into the educational system
Members of national minorities propose and chose a model and program in line with existing legislation and their ability to complete the program.
All models and frameworks are part of the regular educational system of the Republic of Croatia.
The Ministry of Science and Education is implementing the national program for the Roma within its domain.