Minister of Science, Education and Sports
Vedran Mornar, Ph.D.
Address: Donje Svetice 38, 10000 Zagreb
Phone: +385 1 4569 000
Fax: +385 1 4594 301
- born in Zagreb, Croatia in 1959
- 1990 Ph.D. degrees in computing from the University of Zagreb, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing (FER), Zagreb, Croatia
- From 1987 to 1988 he was a Fulbright scholar at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- 1985 M.Sc. degrees in computing from the University of Zagreb, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing (FER), Zagreb, Croatia
- 1981 B.Sc. degrees in computing from the University of Zagreb, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing (FER), Zagreb, Croatia
- Currently, Minister of Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia
- He was a mentor of more than 200 graduate and 4 PhD theses
- From 2006 to 2010 he was the dean of the Faculty
- From 2002 to 2006 he was the vice dean of the Faculty
- In 2003, he was promoted to Full Professor in Computing at the Department of Applied Computing, in 2008, he received a tenure.
Expert and scientific activities
- He has been teaching several computing courses, and has been participating in many projects with the industry. His professional interest is in e-learning, application of operational research in the real world information systems, database design, development and implementation.
- He was the leader of several projects at the national level, most notably the National Information System for Application to Higher Education Institutions, which also provides the complete organizational support for the state matura exams, and the National Information System for Application and Enrollment to High Schools.
- As a member of national committee for implementation of state matura, he contributed significantly to task.
- In 2007 he became a member of the National Council for Higher Education. He was the president of the council from 2009 to 2013. In 2010, he was a nominee for Rector of the University of Zagreb.
- He is a member of IEEE Computer Society, a full member of the Croatian Academy of Technical Sciences and the president of Croatian Association for ICT, Electronics and Microelectronics MIPRO.
- In 2012, he received the gold medal "Josip Lončar" from FER for his outstanding contribution to the faculty.
- He is a holder of the Homeland War Memorial Medal.