REPUBLIC OF CROATIA
Ministry of Science, Education and Sports
Science and Technology Project
Loan No. 7320-HR
Announces Request for Expression of Interest
for individual consultant services of
Financial Expert for Preparation of Project Proposals and Feasibility Studies for Nationally
and EU Funded Projects at Brodarski Institute
1. The Government of the Republic of Croatia has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Science & Technology Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consultant services of a Financial Expert for Preparation of Project Proposals and Feasibility Studies for Nationally and EU Funded Projects at Brodarski Institute (BI), Zagreb, Croatia.
2. Brodarski Institute (BI) is an advanced technology development organization which has strategically engaged its efforts to expand the commercialization of R&D&I (RDI) projects. To sustain commercialization in the Institute in a systematic way, it is crucial to upgrade the existing skills and develop the new ones that would lead to successful approval of RDI projects funded on competitive national and international market. To achieve this, the Institute would apply for RDI projects and conclude commercial partnerships in Croatia and EU, through sustainable networking. In this context, there is a need for specific services of a high quality financial expert who will support BI’s team during the preparation of project proposals for national and international calls, or public tenders for investment and feasibility studies. The expertise is in particular needed for preparation of financial analysis and investment appraisal sections of proposals. The Consultant will also provide appropriate knowledge transfer to the BI’s scientists and engineers through on-the-job trainings and seminars. The estimated time required for the assignment is 130 man/days within a 12-month time-frame.
3. The interested consultant expert should have the following qualifications:
a) Educational background in finance analysis and business planning or equivalent with at least 6 years of experience in finance, business development, and commercialization of products and services, and fluency in English are prerequisite.
b) Knowledge about Croatian RDI funding programs at the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports, BICRO, Ministry of Economy, Labor and Entrepreneurship, Ministry of the Sea, Transportation and Infrastructure and other funding sources and local experience in technology and RDI activities. Understanding of Croatian National Innovation System (NIS) is an asset. (15 points).
c) Knowledge about EU RDI funding programs as well as EU pre-accession funds for Croatia and experience in the technology and RDI activities. Understanding the market for innovative products in high tech and traditional industrial sectors, especially in SMEs, is an asset. (15 points)
Adequacy for assignment:
d) Proven solid track record of successful approval of research, development and innovation projects in the last 5 years; performed on behalf of the private sector, or involving public research organizations and the private sector, or involving a public research organization financed competitively by national sources or international sources (35 points).
e) Proven experience in elaboration of feasibility studies, investment studies and financial project proposals in the area of science; technology and innovation (35 points).
4. The Ministry of Science, Education and Sports now invites eligible consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services, together with the curriculum vitae and list of professional references, in the English language. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
5. A consultant will be selected as an Individual Consultant in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers , current edition.
6. Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 16.00 hours local time. More detailed Terms of Reference are available at the Ministry’s website: news> Science> Science & Technology Project> Applications & Contracts and at BI’s website www.hrbi.hr.
7. Expressions of Interest must be delivered to the address below by January 13, 2010, by 03.00 p.m. local time.
Ministry of Science, Education and Sports
Project Management Unit
Attn. Ms. Mirjana Stjepanovic
Planinska 1, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Tel. +385 1 2352 691
Fax: +385 1 2352 689
Class No.: 910-04/09-04/00037
Reg. No.: 533-08-09-01